General Visa Information
In order to prevent the spread of new coronavirus infection in Russia, the Consular Section of the Russian Embassy in Colombo, starting from March 18, 2020 has temporarily suspended the acceptance of documents, registration and issuance to foreign citizens of all categories of visas. Private visas in emergency cases related to the death of a close relative will be still issued.
Travel to Russia requires an entry visa. The Consular Division of the Embassy issues different categories
of visas to Russia based upon the purpose of the trip and the duration of stay in Russia.
The following documents should be submitted in order to obtain a visa according to its category:
1. Completed visa application signed by the Applicant only.
2. Valid national passport.
3. One picture of an applicant.
4. Invitation to Russia from a host person or organisation.
5. Other required documents (depending on visa type).
- Visa processing starts only after the Consular Section has collected all necessary documents.
- Visa processing fee is not refundable.
- Type of visa or dates of entry/departure can’t be changed or extended. If your travel plans have
changed after the visa issuance you have to reapply for a new visa.
- After you received your visa, please check all the data indicated in it and, if necessary, return it
to the Consular Section for corrections. The Consular Section will not be responsible for any
mistakes in the visas, which were not brought to our attention prior to your departure from
Sri Lanka and the Maldives.
- Any visa applicant may be interviewed by the consular officer, if necessary.
- Processing time, requirements and fees are subject to change without notice.
- In certain cases the Consular Section is entitled to consider visa applications as long as it
necessary. Visa can be denied if the Consular Section has serious reasons to believe that an
applicant's entry into or stay in the territory of the Russian Federation will not be desirable.
- Please be advised that person can’t have two valid visas in one passport. In this case the first
visa is to be cancelled.
Please be reminded that a foreign national entering the Russian Federation is required to fill in an immigration card and present it to an immigration officer at a check-point for official stamping.